Indonesian sculptor Ichwan Noor takes the iconic components of vintage VW vehicles and warps them into perfect spheres and cubes. The large-scale sculptures leave the uncanny impression of being instantly recognizable, yet leaving you wondering just how the artist constructed them. It’s the immediate familiarity that initially attracted Ichwan Noor to using the cars as a medium in the first place.
“I see the VW Beetle as one of the most successful designs, one that people will always be familiar with,”
- Cemeti Contemporary Art Gallery, 1993
- Phatom of the Bodies at Sigiart Gallery, Jakarta, 2008
- The Maker at Mon Décor Gallery, Jakarta, 2011
- Art Bassel Hongkong, “Insight” at Hongkong, 2013
- 2005 – The Winner of Monument Compertition “ Kudus KotaKretek “at Kudus, Central Java
- 2011 – The Best Artworks on “Indonesia Art Motoring”, Motion & Reflection at National Gallery, Jakarta